Gorr’Rylaehotep is the secondary antagonist of Dark Harvest.
It is the series’ incarnation of Slender Man; a mysterious interdimensional entity with supernatural powers that is worshipped by The Order, who believe it to be a resident of the "Fourth World" that traveled into the "Third World" through an interdimensional rift.
It first appeared in Log Entry 11.
Appearance and Behavior
Gorr’Rylaehotep is an eerie figure that takes on the form of an unnaturally tall, faceless man wearing a black business suit and tie. It is also able to form black tentacle-like appendages from its back, which are said to be cracks in space and time, however this ability has never been shown in the series.
Gorr’Rylaehotep's motives appear incomprehensible. It has been known to appear at seemingly random times, sometimes stalking its targets from a distance or actively harming them in a variety of ways, one example including the disembowelment of its victims.
- Shapeshifting: Gorr’Rylaehotep takes the form of a man wearing a black suit and tie, likely in an attempt to blend in with modern day society.
- Teleportation: Because of its lanky figure, Gorr’Rylaehotep's movement is very slow and awkward, yet it has the ability to teleport to travel or pursue its victims quicker.
- Time Travel: An ageless being, Gorr’Rylaehotep has existed since Ancient Egypt, or even long before when the universe was first created. It can create time warps to different times of day and even centuries, often using this to disorient its victims.
- Illness: Gorr’Rylaehotep's presence may cause sickness to its human bystanders, such as painful migraines and vomiting of blood.
- Paranoia: Due to Gorr’Rylaehotep's frightening appearance and its habit of stalking victims, those followed by the creature are subject to paranoia and extreme changes in personality as a result.
- Audio and Video Corruption: Gorr’Rylaehotep's presence often causes severe distortion to technology, such as video cameras. It is unknown if this just happens normally because of its presence or if Gorr’Rylaehotep itself is purposely causing the corruption in an attempt to conceal documentation of its existence.
- Mutilation and Disembowlment: This is the best known method of how Gorr’Rylaehotep physically kills its victims. It tends to steal the victim's vital organs.
In the early 1900s, Heinrich Kaufmann II, an archaeologist who believed that ancient civilizations were capable of feats including time travel and teleportation, traveled to Egypt in search of a tablet said to detail the ancients' secrets. When he discovered the tablet, he was warned by the locals that a god known as Gorr'Rylaehotep had supposedly entered this world and placed a curse on it. The tablet and the transcript of its translation later fell into the hands of The Order's First Overseer before being stolen from him by the Nazis.
After the end of World War II, a former Nazi scientist named Hans Freuhauf attempted to recreate the ancient rite of Gorr'Rylaehotep using the information contained on Kaufmann's tablet. This was attempted in secret using funds from the United States government in what was known as the Princeton Experiment. The experiment ultimately proved somewhat successful in 1957, as a Rift to the 4th World was eventually opened. However, Gorr’Rylaehotep then appeared and slaughtered all who were present except for Marc McComber, who developed special abilities as a result of his exposure to the phenomenon. It is believed by some that Freuhauf was connected to a Gorr'Rylaehotep-related cult, although the Collective Knowledge implies that he was not associated with The Order, but merely a fellow believer.
In the summer of 1958, 72 children mysteriously vanished from the Rainwood Day Camp & Learning Center. Many blamed the disappearances on "The Tall Man", a serial killer who had committed a double-homicide within two miles of the day camp at around the same time. The day camp had been founded by Lawrence Rainwood, who was also the Chief Overseer of The Order, and the mysterious event would come to be known as the Rainwood Incident. Several weeks after this incident, the building mysteriously caught on fire, destroying most of the documents within it.
After becoming The Order's Oracle, Marc McComber prophecized that the Gorr’Rylaehotep would one day kill the two Harbingers, Chris and Alex, which prevents The Order from doing so themselves. An Overseer in The Order stated that the reason why the Gorr’Rylaehotep has yet to kill the two individuals is unknown to them. Despite the Oracle's prophecy, the heretical sixth enclave within the New Jersey Chapter of The Order is still willing to kill the two Harbingers themselves and has attempted to do so on several occasions.
Gorr’Rylaehotep has made 11 appearances in the series.
|Log Entry 11|
|(2:35) Chris witnesses Gorr’Rylaehotep beside a car and a street sign before running away. This is Gorr’Rylaehotep’s debut appearance.|
|(3:00) Alex runs into Gorr’Rylaehotep at night. In the final seconds of the video, a quick image of Gorr’Rylaehotep’s upper body is shown through a window frame.|
|(12:35) After discovering Greg’s body, Chris panics and runs into Gorr’Rylaehotep in his basement, causing him to pass out.|
|(2:27) Alex encounters Gorr’Rylaehotep in the woods across his house after chasing three cultists, however the footage is extremely distorted and the creature isn’t seen. It is implied that Gorr’Rylaehotep murdered the cultists.|
|(2:29) After being chased by the suited cultist, Chris and Alex are then pursued by the real Gorr’Rylaehotep, who manages to find its way into Alex’s house.|
|Rainwood Memorial Elementary School|
|(6:11) While exploring the school, Chris and Alex board an elevator. As it enters a clearing going up, Gorr’Rylaehotep is seen in a hallway overlooking the elevator, staring at the two and moving awkwardly. Chris and Alex are completely unaware of its presence.|
|Greg's Log 2|
|(4:37) Greg encounters Gorr’Rylaehotep as he walks through a park. Chronologically, this is Gorr’Rylaehotep’s second appearance in the series as the footage takes place in 2011 about a month before his death.|
|Log Entry 25: Meeting with Noah Maxwell|
|(12:32) Gorr’Rylaehotep appears before Alex’s car, frightening Chris, Alex, and Noah. It hurls the body of a cultist onto the car before closing in and sending them through a time warp that also teleports them to a unknown beach.
A related video by Tribe Twelve titled The Order, depicts the events leading up to the encounter in the car.
|Greg's Final Log|
|(6:01) Gorr’Rylaehotep invades Greg’s house, teleporting to all the doors to prevent his escape. Jesse abandons Greg in the basement, where Gorr’Rylaehotep teleports inside and kills him. Chronologically, this is Gorr’Rylaehotep’s fourth appearance as the footage takes place in March of 2011.|
|the last three months - part two|
|(6:16) When an intoxicated Alex goes to the bathroom to vomit, Gorr’Rylaehotep suddenly appears in Matt's apartment and causes Alex to have an emotional breakdown.|
|Log Entry 33|
|(11:15) Gorr’Rylaehotep intervenes Chris, Alex, and Heather’s travels. Its presence causes Alex to experience a painful migraine that nearly drives him to shoot himself and ultimately places him in a catatonic state. Heather wards off Gorr’Rylaehotep by shooting at it.|
Gorr’Rylaehotep has killed the following characters.
- Hans Freuhauf
- Several Nazi scientists during the Princeton Experiment
- 72 children in 1958
- Numerous members of The Order
- Greg Benson
- In the video "Log Entry 25" the Slender Man costume that was used was neither Dark Harvest's or TribeTwelve's, it was EverymanHYBRID's.